Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Suggestions For Courtney

Alrighty....First thing is first....Log in your miles. Keep a journal or some kind of documentation that lets you know how long you ran that day. There are several ways you can accomplish this. You can map out a course on line using google maps, you can do (boring) laps around a track, treadmill (boring again..sorry), or (my favorite) you can get a watch and average ten minute miles. This was the best option for me and has helped my training for the marathon. So now is the perfect time to start your training for the 10K.

Strength training is a great way to exercise. If you don't have access to a gym, your body can be your best friend. For example you can do body squats, lunges, push ups, and crunches. The great thing about this is you can do it all at your house. Start out with seven of each and do it in a circuit. It is a great way to strength train and it will get your heart rate going. Don't forget to stretch afterwords. Let me know if you would like anything specific and I would be happy to come up with some workouts for just Court.

1 comment:

Skinners said...

Audra you rock! So, I've been logging distance/time on the treadmill (with a movie it isn't SO bad. Beats 3" of snow). So, that's great advice. This is my problem, I want to 'feel' like I'm working out when I'm doing it. I know i will be sore tomorrow but I want to feel something today (like when I run, I feel it). So, any suggestions for strength training in that area (aka, a personal workout ;). I get up at 5 and do it while my kiddos sleep so something that isn't going to result in a 5:30am family breakfast!

You are awesome! Thanks so much